All comments are due by June 20
The U.S. Department of Education has determined that Cosmetology is a “low-value program.” The proposed Gainful Employment Rule would deny students the use of financial aid to attend cosmetology school.
Whether it’s a public career college, private beauty school, apprenticeship or other educational opportunity in our industry, your help is needed to provide future professionals with the choices to further their education.
The proposed Gainful Employment Rule fails to consider the complex nature of the higher education landscape and the diverse needs of students seeking to improve their lives through education and career training. The ruling’s one-size-fits-all approach undermines the very essence of higher education as a vehicle for personal and professional growth.
These new regulations are NOT YET FINAL – so sharing your voice can affect the outcome.
If you are concerned about the impact this rule would have on the next generation of learners in our industry, please follow the steps below to ensure your voice is heard.
IT’S AS EASY AS 1, 2, 3
Hon. Dr. Miguel Cardona
Secretary of Education
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20202
Re: Comment – Business Owner
Docket ID ED-2023-OPE-0089
Dear Secretary Cardona:
Paragraph 1 (Introduction):
- Introduce and provide the following information about your company:
- Name and location
- Statement about the company’s involvement in the beauty & wellness industry and relations with schools that are members of the American Association of Cosmetology Schools
- Provide reasons for submitting a comment.
Paragraph 2 (Please utilize one or more comments):
- Provide additional information about your company:
- Small business (if applicable), number of employees, years in business, description of services, etc.
- Describe the impact that the Gainful Employment Rule will have on employees:
- Provide relevant workforce statistics
- Forecast impact on current employees
- Describe the impact that the gainful employment rule will have on the beauty and wellness industry:
- Statistics on industry growth
- Provide analysis on the next steps of the industry if the schools are forced into closure
Paragraph 3: (Conclusion)
- Provide a strong statement on the impact of the Gainful Employment Rule: The Gainful Employment Rule will result in the loss of Title IV eligibility, which will eventually lead to school closures which will have a devastating impact on the industry.
- Thank the Department for consideration of the comment.