Your Comments Are Needed by Tuesday, June 20th
Jobs in our industry are projected to grow over twice as fast as other occupations over the next ten years, but we lost 20% of our workforce during covid. We already have a job crisis.
Proposed “Gainful Employment” regulations will make things dramatically worse by quickly shuttering over half the beauty schools – that train the majority of new professionals – with a source estimating at least 2/3 of all beauty schools will be shuttered.
The Gainful Employment Rule will magnify our talent shortage on an unprecedented scale, preventing future beauty/wellness professionals from receiving federal student loan support to complete their education. The potential effects across our entire industry are devastating.
Our industry, already understaffed, would be unable to meet customer demand – salons and barbershops would provide fewer services, have reduced revenues, and many may close.
BE SURE YOUR VOICE IS HEARD!
But there’s hope – these new regulations are NOT YET FINAL – and sharing your voice could affect the outcome. We all must participate in the comment period (ending Tuesday, June 20th). This is the ONLY opportunity we have to challenge this proposed ruling. The government is looking for individual comments that share your story of the impact these regulations will have on you and the industry.
Please follow the steps below to make your voice heard. Together, we can make a difference!
IT’S AS EASY AS 1, 2, 3
Hon. Dr. Miguel Cardona
Secretary of Education
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20202
Re: Comment – Business Owner
Docket ID ED-2023-OPE-0089
Dear Secretary Cardona:
Paragraph 1 (Introduction):
- Introduce and provide the following information about your company:
- Name and location
- Statement about the company’s involvement in the beauty & wellness industry and relations with schools that are members of the American Association of Cosmetology Schools
- Provide reasons for submitting a comment.
Paragraph 2 (Please utilize one or more comments):
- Provide additional information about your company:
- Small business (if applicable), number of employees, years in business, description of services, etc.
- Describe the impact that the Gainful Employment Rule will have on employees:
- Provide relevant workforce statistics
- Forecast impact on current employees
- Describe the impact that the gainful employment rule will have on the beauty and wellness industry:
- Statistics on industry growth
- Provide analysis on the next steps of the industry if the schools are forced into closure
Paragraph 3: (Conclusion)
- Provide a strong statement on the impact of the Gainful Employment Rule: The Gainful Employment Rule will result in the loss of Title IV eligibility, which will eventually lead to school closures which will have a devastating impact on the industry.
- Thank the Department for consideration of the comment.